Strategic and Aggressive Criminal Defense And Immigration Representation

Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Recently, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) stated that the government would have a policy change in its treatment of children that were brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents. Since these children have grown up as Americans, the government has decided that they will more closely review each individual case before deporting these individuals. The DHS has decided that its resources are better spent on immigrants, who are a danger to national security, not children who consider the U.S. their home.

In light of this, they have given certain individuals who arrived at a young age the option of deferred action. To learn more about this new policy and what it means for you, speak to an Ohio immigration attorney at Bartell Georgalas & Juarez We keep a tight watch on all of the current immigration reform so that we can make sure to use it to our clients’ advantage.

How Does Deferred Action Help Me?

Deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) would allow their removal proceedings to be delayed for two years. Those who are in danger of being deported would not have to leave for at least those two years, with the possibility of further postponement. They might also be allowed to be lawfully employed because the government would see them as being legitimately present in the United States under deferred action.

Am I Eligible For Deferred Action For Childhood Arrivals?

If you were brought to the U.S. as a child, you may be wondering if you are eligible for deferred action. The U.S. government has listed a number of requirements that must be true of you in order for you to qualify:

  • Entered before 16 years of age
  • Continuously lived in the U.S. from June 15, 2007, to present
  • Younger than 31 years of age on June 15, 2007
  • Entered or stayed illegally as of June 15, 2012
  • Living in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, when DACA was implemented
  • Have to be physically residing in the U.S. when applying for DACA
  • Currently enrolled in a U.S. school, has graduated from a U.S. high school, obtained a G.E.D., or received on honorable discharge from a division of the U.S. Armed Forces or Coast Guard
  • Has no felony convictions, more than three misdemeanors, significant misdemeanors
  • Poses no threat to public safety
  • Passes a background check

If all of these apply to your situation, then you may be approved for deferred action and be considered legally present in the U.S! Contact our office to learn more.

How Do I Apply For DACA?

To request deferred action, you can submit a “Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” form, also known as I-821D. You must send this form with the I-765 and I-765WS, which are requests for work permits. All these forms are available on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ website. This site also contains information about the mailing address and further instructions.

To make sure that you have everything necessary for this application, make sure to contact an Ohio immigration attorney at our firm. We can review your forms and prepare the necessary materials to ensure that all is correct. After the USCIS receives your application, they will send you an appointment notice to be photographed and fingerprinted. When this is complete, the government will let you know if you were approved for deferred action.

Immigration Attorney Serving Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati

The lawyers at our firm are committed to making sure the needs of our clients are continually met, which is why we are available to answer your questions 24/7. We understand that you may be facing life-changing issues, so we work tirelessly to make sure your rights are defended.

Speak to a member of our firm today to get your free consultation. We can even come to your home if need be. Reach us at 216-710-6700 or via this email form.